The Conventual Franciscans arrived in Malta some time before the year 1355. Their first friary and church adjoined the old hospital of St. Francis at Rabat, later known as Santo Spirito Hospital. In 1489 they founded the friary in Gozo and in 1598 that of Valletta. In 1904 they opened a new friary at St. Paul’s Bay and later the friaries of Birkirkara (1944), Burmarrad (1961) and Qawra (1992).

* * * * * * *

Il-Frangiskani Konventwali gew Malta xi zmien qabel it-1355. Kellhom l-ewwel kunvent u knisja taghhom fir-Rabat, hdejn l-isptar San Frangisk li aktar tard issejjah Santu Spirtu. Fis-sena 1489 fethu l-kunvent ta’ Ghawdex u fl-1598 bnew dak tal-Belt. Fl-1904 kellhom il-kunvent ta’ San Pawl il-Bahar u aktar tard twaqqfu l-kunventi ta’ Birkirkara (1944), Burmarrad (1961) u l-Qawra (1992).

 

Copyright CAK Malta 2011